Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mount Ellinor with Matty '08

In August, on a weekday, Matty and I decided to take our annual trip to Mount Ellinor, a steep (elevation gain of ~2400 ft) but relatively short (~3.5 miles round trip) hike in the Olympics. It rained a bit on us, but the skies cleared when we reached the top to reveal the beauty of God's creation that we had remembered from the previous year.

Matty and I also saw some sweet mountain goats! How is this guy not sliding down the cliff?! They're certainly some amazing, sure-footed animals!


























At one point, Matty and I rounded a bend and immediately saw this goat. In an instant, I knew Matty wanted to chase him, which would have inevitably ended with the goat scampering down the steep cliff (in control), and Matty following (out of control). Matty had already had some fun frollicking with....er.....chasing another goat we had seen just a few minutes earlier, so in my calmest, yet most demanding voice I could muster, I ordered Matty to stay put. She must have sensed the danger in chasing this one into his own steep, dangerous territory, and decided wisely to obey my command.


























More goats:




















The views:


















1 comment:

Mossy Mom said...

That one horned female goat that gave me the evil eye up there just might chase a dog!